Local Food Access Coordinator
AppalCorps, an AmeriCorps Program of the Appalachian Resource, Conservation, and Development Council, 2021-2022
Nourish Knoxville, Inc. is a Knoxville-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization cultivating healthy communities by supporting relationships between local farmers, producers, and the public.
The purpose of the Local Food Access Coordinator (LFAC) position is to increase access to local food by supporting and expanding the East Tennessee Local Food Guide and by providing additional outlets for producers to reach consumers. This position also directly supports three farmers’ markets in Knoxville, TN. This can be an exciting opportunity for someone with a strong interest in locally-grown food and community development.
This is an AmeriCorps position supported through the Appalachian RC&D Council for a one-year service term.
East TN Local Food Guide Support
- Update and expand the East TN Local Food Guide by connecting with regional farms, restaurants, grocers, and food producers
- Establish new distribution points with local organizations and businesses to distribute the East TN Local Food Guide
Food System Development
- Help to plan and implement grower/buyer events across the region in a multi-organizational partnership
Farmers’ Market Support
- Assist on-site at Nourish Knoxville’s Market Square, New Harvest, and Winter Farmers’ Markets
- Help to promote Nourish Knoxville’s produce incentive programs at farmers’ markets
- Assist in program development as needed
- Assist with other organization activities, such as educational events and fundraisers
- Participate in and help support activities with strategic partners
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Strong interest and commitment to locally-grown food and agricultural products
- Basic math, reading, and computer skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends averaging out to a 35 hour week
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions with fluctuating temperatures.
- Must submit to and pass a criminal background check.
- Must meet the requirements for the AmeriCorps program and commit to a one-year contract
Pay and Benefits
- Opportunity to gain experience in the non-profit sector
- Opportunity to gain knowledge and understanding of local food systems, food system support, and food access initiatives
- Connection to a state-wide network of AmeriCorps members, AmeriCorps alumni, and supporting organizations
- AmeriCorps Living Allowance of $1258.30 a month
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award equivalent to the maximum value of the Pell Grant for the fiscal year of service. The Segal Education Award for a 12-month term of service equals $6,495.
- Student loan forbearance during the service year with additional interest payment support
If you would like to join the Nourish Knoxville team in supporting your local food system, please provide a resume and cover letter to: [email protected] Resumes will be accepted from September 15 to November 30, 2021.